LumberJocks

3 days: 1 project; 2 days: 2 projects

  • Advertise with us
Project by airfieldman posted 01-23-2012 07:59 PM 2036 views 2 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

So, last week we had a “SNOWMEGEDON!!!!” (roughly translated to about 8 inches of snow…). But, since I work for the Fed Governemt, I got a week off (way to dangerouse to drive to work!). This afforded me the opportunity to get some shop time in…Whoo-Hoo!

The first project was really an upgrade from my first project I posted here. Actually, I used the top from that, to create the first attempt at this. It didn’t work out too well. I’m afraid to admit that frequently don’t really have “plans” for my projects…I just do them. So, I took the top off that, cut it down to size and removed the excess material from underneath to make it flush. All was going swimingly (where does that term come from, anyway?...never mind) until I reallized I had no way of attaching it to the table saw. Specifically since I was working with 1/2’ ply. OOPS!
So, I started fresh with some leftover 3/4” oak ply I had from my platform bed. Nice. Looks better too. Still, attaching it was something of an issue. Finally I decided to eliminate the idea of attaching the sides, and simply attach a peice of scrap to the back, and then attach that to the top. That worked perfectly. The only detractant from this whole end product was that there is a slight gap between the ts and the router table. I assume that is because the peice I chose wasn’t exactly true. I can (and probably will) correct that without too much difficulty. That took 3 days (about 4 hours each)

Next was the simple laundry room table. My wife threw that idea at me around noon, and by 2 it was done. I’m not real proud of this, other that it proves to her the usefullness of a shop. 2 hours, and zero dolars (all ply from previous work). And she likes it…that’s the point I guess.

Lastly was my zero clearance insert. I’ve been kicking around this needed improvement for some time, but when I was having terrible tearout during the build for the table, I realized it was time. This took me about 6 hours. I used some techniques that I hadn’t before, so there was a steep learning curve. Very happy with that product. I was even reasonably safe in raising the blade through it.
The only problem I had with it, was that I still can’t figure out my auger bits. It doesn’t seem to matter if I use low rpm’s or high, the bit always grips so hard that it tears right through the material. I thought I had it figured out: I bought a brace. This should do it (or so I though). Nope. In fact it was worse. I ended up tearing the top layer of lamanate, not just the underneath. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for reading such a long winded post. Cheers!

-- Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut it with a chainsaw.





2 comments so far

View DaddyZ's profile

DaddyZ

2399 posts in 1691 days


#1 posted 01-23-2012 08:09 PM

You might check out my Zero Clearance, I have been kicking about adding a router Table as well.

-- Pat - Worker of Wood, Collector of Tools, Father of one

View Roger's profile

Roger

14556 posts in 1455 days


#2 posted 01-24-2012 03:28 AM

I actually just finished making 5 inserts for my old Craftsman today. I wish I woulda done some blog pics, cuz, they came out pretty good. zero clearance is the only way to go. once u use em, you’ll want to keep a few extras for different blades, etc. if yer gonna make one, ya might as well make a few.. DaddyZ has a good idea with his link

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase