|Project by Mcnervy||posted 01-23-2012 12:20 AM||1691 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
As A dad I dont get a lot of time for Hobby. Even so I had built a project for every member of my family except my youngest. My Wife got a jewelry box, My step son got a loft bed, my 3 year old got a rocking chair, So it was time to make a toy box for my 2 year old.
My first priority was keeping it Safe and then Cheap, with the cost of health care I dont have the money for this hobby.
So I used left over walnut for the sides, the legs are left overs from my Work bench and I used an old gift certificate to buy the oak for the top. Then I had to buy the rockler torsion hinges so the lid would not slam on my boys fingers. Can you believe that the hinges cost $112 delivered(with the jig and guided drill bit, Highly recomended if you go with the torsion hinges..
For the sides I resawed my best looking walnut and book matched into panels. I have a 14 inch delta band saw (lowes entry level). I resawed the first board only with the band saw, it took for ever. For the remaining Resawing, I used a ripping blade on my table saw and cut a 2” starter cut with the table saw and the went to the band saw. What a differnce, spent less time on the final 4 resaws then on the 1st. I ran all the panels thru the planer, bookmatch glued them together. I then used standard frame and panel construction to put the sides together, placing the best panel in the center of the front and worked around to the back. I set the best side to the outside.
I cut stopped dadoes in each leg to accept the panels.
I cut a groove at the bottom of each panel for the bottom (plywood), carying the groove through the legs was difficult, all chisel work.
I broke the rules of floating panels because the frame would not have been strong enough. I glued the panels in only at the center of the top and bottom, time will tell if this was a mistake
After a dry assembly I felt the legs were too plain. I cut a slight curve on the outside edge of each leg.
I had plans for a fancy top with breadboard ends, but christmas was approaching fast, so I just glued the top out of a piece of oak. I placed a light curve on each end. I used a 3/8 round over on top and bottom.
I had an inital shock whe I tried to install the hinges, they are designed to work only with 3/4 thick stock. I generaly only mill my lumber till it cleans up and then use that thickness. But I was all glued together so I had to cut pockets for each hinge. I used a making gauge, marking knife and sharp chisels, it turned out great. The hinges went in easy other then that, but were much harder to open and close then I expected. The rocker program required 3 60inlb hinges and one 40 lb hinge. I installed the two on the edges and that was almost enough by it self. I decided to only add one more 40 inlb hinge in the center. It works. I would advise that the hinges resist movement equally in both directions so if you have a heavy lid as I do it makes it harder to open. It is however safe and will not slam on the boys fingers.
Finish is 3 coats of Watco natural oil finish, allowed to fully dry and then waxed.
If I had to do it again I wuld make it smaller and use differnt hardware If I could find it.
Sorry for babbling but I spend 3 months on and mainly off.
The important thing is that my boy loves it, he climbs in it and then plays in there with his toys.
Thanks for looking and if you made it this far, thanks for reading
-- Bennett; If it can't be fixed with a hammer its an electical problem