|Project by barecycles||posted 01-21-2012 10:16 PM||105191 views||80 times favorited||24 comments|
Well, I was fed up tripping over my tangled mess of air hose so I finally did something about it and it only took me a couple of hours. I had a bunch of small cut-offs from a siding job I finished and was tempted to toss them out but like everything else I squirreled them away and they worked out well for this hose reel. I remember seeing this in Shopnotes way back when. I think the Shopnotes version had some kind of spring tensioned brake on it to keep the reel from “backlashing” when unreeling but that has not been an issue for me.
It’s all made with those leftover siding pieces and some 1/4” galv. and brass fittings. It holds about 50’ of 3/8” hose and even on cold days when the hose won’t “relax” it works well. I’ve got a short piece of self-coiling hose between my compressor and the reel that keeps everything from getting twisted. It is hanging on a bracket attached to the wall but can be lifted off and moved around the shop it needed.
Since I had all the scrap wood and a lot of those 1/4” fittings on hand, this thing only cost me about $8.
-- Sweeping up sawdust in Texas