|Project by gfadvm||posted 01-20-2012 01:45 AM||2274 views||2 times favorited||27 comments|
I sliced up the last of my end grain block to make this box and wanted it to be perfect. The box joints came out perfect, the Shipwright hinges were perfect, and the lid was perfect. Then I went to finish it. Lacquer got worse the more I applied so I gave up and sanded back to bare wood (600 grit), and tried shellac. The first couple of coats were OK then subsequent coats began to wad up/smear previous coats. It looked really nice with just BLO before I applied anything else. I should have quit there! Pictured finish is shellac but I’m not too proud of it. I consider each step of a project an opportunity to create woodstove fodder and this one almost got burned. It needs to find a home as my blood pressure goes up every time I look at it!
-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm