|Project by StickleyStyle||posted 01-17-2012 10:05 PM||4459 views||14 times favorited||14 comments|
Synopsis version: A couple bookcases I put together using some red oak lumber I have had sitting around the shop since the mid nineteen eighties, seriously. The basic build follows a FWW plan I purchased but altered after an initial dry assembly session at which time I decided the original design was a bit too clunky so I lightened it up a little by adding the arches to the bottom stringers and shaving a little off the top stringers. The posts were laminated with shop made veneer and using the less desirable grained lumber as a core. Floating tenons were used for all joinery using for the first time a Mortise Pal jig I bought a while ago. Great tool, highly recommended if you don’t want to spring for a Domino joiner. The back is made from ¼ inch ship lap planks made from resawn 4/4 lumber. Lastly came the part I dislike the most about this hobby, the finishing. The finish consists of Lockwood aniline dye (Sheraton dark, I think. If someone really wants to know I can confirm), several coats of Zinsser SealCoat, a coat of GFs gel stain, and finally Arm R-seal. I did all finishing prior to assembly and the top was fastened using those wonderful little figure 8 table iron gizmos.
Thanks for looking!
Long winded version: Looking at the shop some time ago I said: I have to get rid of all this plain sawn red oak lumber that I have had sitting around since the mid eighties, back when contemporary furniture was all the rage. Since my primary interest now lies with the Arts and Crafts style, the pronounced grain of the red oak, especially flat sawn, has little use. This project was more an experiment in finishing technique than it was furniture construction exercise: how to make a piece I could live with and still use up the red oak. Having diddled with aniline dyes a little I knew they were better at coloring the entire wood surface, not just the open grain as is the case with stain. I experimented with some sample pieces and was reasonably satisfied with the outcome, so things were looking up. For those that have never used water based aniline dye before its wonderful, little overlapping marking as long as you flood the surface enough. The only down side is grain raising and it will dye your hands if you don’t use gloves. I think this is the same material used for spray tanning. The build went pretty problem free. I am somewhat of a purist and up till now have used real mortise and tenon joinery in most of my recent builds. But, for the sake of trying other methods I did buy one of those router based mortising jigs I discovered in the LJ tool review section. I love this thing, I can knock out floating tenons/mortises much faster than traditional methods and will use this tool more often unless making through style tenons. Since the tops of the posts were hidden I just made a core of the raunchy grained lumber that I had and reserved the more straight grained lumber for the post veneers and the case tops. The tops were glued up from lumber I perceived had the best grain, boy was I in for a surprise. Fast forward now to finishing time: everything is going smoothly, all the little parts are done ( I finish before ass’y) and what remains now are just the case tops. Well, I flood the dye on and the tops sparkle, wow, this is going to come out really nice I thought. You can bet my exasperation when I notice the panels (tops) are not drying evenly and what’s more, the section that is drying slower is turning dark and blotchy. Frustrated, I sanded it all off (just the top panels, the other parts did not do this) and tried it again thinking I did not wipe off the excess adequately. I dyed them again paying more attention and the same thing happened. I then thought maybe the fact that I used tap water for the dye mix up was causing the blotching due to tannins present in the oak so I did some tests to see if plain tap water would cause the darkening. I did some internet investigating calling on the expertise of those more finish savvy. I was told I need to apply a wash coat of the SealCoat and apply the dye over that. So I sanded it all off and tried again. It still came out the same (see last picture) so in a fit of rage, and I’m not proud of this moment, I threw the tops in the dumpster and took at them with a garden axe. I feel much better now! I bought new QSRO lumber for the tops and everything came out great. I still don’t know what the problem was but I’m now permanently spooked from using red oak in anything but the simplest of projects.
Thanks again for looking!