|Project by DRStevick||posted 01-16-2012 at 06:06 PM||1761 views||3 times favorited||2 comments|
A bit of background… Commander, Submarine Squadron ONE is in charge of six submarines homeprted in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The Commander of CSS-1 is being relieved soon, and the six submarine Commanding Officers got together to get him a gift, and I was asked to create a cribbage board, inlaying the CSS-1 coin as well as the six submarine coins.
I first used a graphic design program do layout the coins and the peg holes. I printed out the design at 100%, and used spray adhesive to glue the design to a piece of plexiglass. I drilled the holes in the plexiglass, then used the plexiglass as a template to drill the actual board. Since the coin holes were going to be enlarged using a forstner bit anyway, I used a couple of small screws to hold the plexiglass in place while drilling. The coins themselves were an issue too – most of them had a design on the back which prevented the coins from sitting flat. Since the coins were being glued in place anyway, I used my bench grinder to grind the backs flat.
The holes in the underside of the board were unfortunately not intentional; after drilling the holes for the coins and test fitting, some of them were tight enough that I couldn’t get them back out! I ended up drilling the holes to be able to push the coins out of the holes. The holes DID end up being usefull though. They aided in aligning the coins, and as a spray point for the CA Glue accelerant.
The board itself is Koa, with a Purpleheart and Maple inlay. The coins, ranging from 1 1/2” in diameter to almost 2” in diameter, are arranged on the inlayed band. The box is Maple, and is held to the board using two barrel hinges, and two magnets to hold the box shut. The finish is approximately 6 coats of spray gloss lacquer.
(My wife also made a black velvet bag to hold and protect the box…)
Thank you for all of your help! I posted a couple of times in regards to drilling out the holes for the coins, as well as an emergency when my CA glue removal techniques removed more than just the CA glue that dripped as I was gluing in the hinges!