LumberJocks

Wine Barrel Stave Candle Holder

  • Advertise with us
Project by Hopman posted 01-16-2012 09:35 PM 2417 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

Forgive me for a lengthy description of what many of you can do with your eyes closed. It’s my first real wood working project since I took a shop class in 6th grade. See, I like to wine taste and I frequently see things for sale at wineries that people have crafted out of wine barrels. It looked pretty easy and I recently acquired some tools from my father so I bought a barrel to play with. It’s french oak, all quarter sawn.

First thing I did is cut a stave down to length. Then I used a forstner bit to bore a few 2-inch holes, trying my best to get them all level. The ends of the stave looked a little strange to me so I tapered them a bit first, then cut platforms or “feet” on the bottom so it had a stable flat spot to sit on. In retrospect I probably took a little too much off the bottom because the natural curve of the stave is much less prevalent now. Then I sanded the whole thing to soften edges/corners. I was careful around the parts that had the markings from the hoops – I liked those and thought it gave it a more rustic character.

Metal Hoop Sections: I cut them with a Dremel grinder attachment then cleaned up the edges on my real grinder/wire brush tool. Since then I picked up some metal blades for my jig saw which I’m hoping will make that job easier as the Dremel disks get worn down FAST on the galvanized steel.

Finish: English Chesnut, and 2 coats of satin poly. I waivered on semi-gloss vs. satin, and on the stain color too. I think maybe a lighter more natural stain may be more pleasing for most people. Regardless, I was REALLY pleased to get the finish on and see all the grain come to life.

Assembly: I thought it would look more natural to adhere the metal bands (second picture) rather than screwing them on (first picture) so I used Gorilla Glue – which would have worked fine if I did it BEFORE the poly. They ended up sliding a bit though on the slick poly and I had to chisel them off after they set a little crooked. Luckily there was no damage in the process and I decided to screw them on. It was a blessing in disguise because in retrospect, it looked a little naked without the extra hardware.

Now that I’ve learned a few things on this first one, I could easily crank these out no problem. I might do that for friends/family who are interested in having one. Of course, I’ve got some other designs in the works too – one that’s a full stave and holds 5 candles, one that curves upwards so you see the natural wine stains, etc.

PLEASE if you have any suggestions for me – let ‘er rip. I don’t have anyone looking over my shoulder telling me what to do differently so I’m hoping I can make it look really professional with a few tips from you guys – especially in the staining/finishing arena. Thanks for reading!





1 comment so far

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

115202 posts in 3039 days


#1 posted 01-17-2012 04:27 AM

Pretty darn creative,good job.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com