|Project by BillieAchilleos||posted 03-15-2008 05:19 PM||4123 views||14 times favorited||34 comments|
This is my first post, so I apologize if it’s rather amature.
I carved him in a couple of months at university. He is the first thing I’ve ever carved so I made alot of mistakes, which I seem to have covered up well.
To begin with I worked out the legs and arms in foam board, then make a mock up of one leg in pine, just to see what the problems might be. I used a band saw to make the profile of the pieces then shaped them out using various sanding tools and my gouges. I was very rushed when it came to finishing and it’s not a great job, I think I just didn’t sand meticulously enough before moving on to the next grade of paper. He was a great experience, but not enough of one. He’s turned out to be way to heavy to manipulate, and thus has ended up more like an articulated doll than a working puppet. I should have used Jelutong for the body, but couldn’t get any, and I really wanted to show off a nice wood grain. I didn’t want to hide the beauty of the wood.
I really want to make more, but alas since leaving university have no workshop space and it’s very hard to work in someone else’s. Eventually, once I’m supporting myself with a good job, I hope I will be able to get myself a band saw and a sturdy work bench so I can learn from the mistakes on this puppet, and make better ones.