|Project by thiel||posted 01-16-2012 05:02 AM||1840 views||1 time favorited||16 comments|
I started this a long time ago, as part of the Wood Whisperer Wall Cabinet build. Got sidetracked pretty early on and the schedule slipped, but I also made some key errors:
1) I’ve been trying to use different (new to me) woods for every project so I can learn about them. I did it in bubinga. This was a dumb idea.
2) When I glued up the case, I used regular glue. This was also a dumb idea. With the clock ticking, I had to fit all four corners (dovetails), the back (dado), shelf (stopped dado), and divider (stopped dado). Needless to say, the glue up did not “go well” and I ended up with an out of square (~1/32) case.
3) With my case out of square, I thought: “what a great way to practice my hand tool skills!” So I set about making the rest of it by hand. This was a dumb idea, because, as I’ve mentioned, it’s bubinga. Super hard, lots of grain switching, prone to chipout. Oh… and did I mention that I only owned a block plane and a smoother at the time? Not enough heft to push through this wood.
4) When fit the drawers, the dovetails came out great, and I got a PERFECT PISTON FIT! Yeah! That’s when I realized I’d forgotten to put the drawer bottoms in.
5) When I fit the door, I got a perfect reveal… oh, except for cutting the door 1/4 too narrow. That’s where the long custom pull came in … it’s a “design feature” ... designed to hide my screwup.
Anyway… the list goes on, but it’s done, and it actually looks pretty sweet. The back and mirror back are cherry plywood. The pulls are Peruvian Black Walnut. The finish is teak oil. I’m going to use it to store camera equipment.
For my next project I think I’m going to use Pine.
-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency