LumberJocks

It's all about the details - My third version of the Greene & Greene clock

  • Advertise with us
Project by EarlS posted 01-15-2012 05:31 AM 2310 views 6 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

My intention was to build the Greene and Greene clock in three different versions.

The first one was QS oak built exactly as the plans showed then stained with varathane “gunstock” and finished with semi-gloss poly.

The second version was cherry with walnut highlights and a decidedly more craftsman feel. It was finished with Maloof oil/poly and topped with Maloof oil/wax.

This version was all about the Greene and Greene look from the 1/4” square plugs to the breadboard top with accents on the ends and front, to the stepped base. It was made from walnut and finished with semi gloss poly. I also went with a clock face (from Clockprints.com) that matched the color and style of the Motawi Tile. As you can see in the second picture the craftsman and G&G versions have a totally different feel.

The basic frame is easily adaptable to the different styles. In fact I realized after I glued the last one up that I should have cut the three rails with the G&G cloud pattern to really make a statement. Maybe on the next one.

For now, I’m moving on to some tile bookends and then some different styles of clocks all leading up to a design for a wall clock for the kitchen that will go with the Stickley furniture and craftsman style of our house.

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"





8 comments so far

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

5452 posts in 1352 days


#1 posted 01-15-2012 05:39 AM

I made several of the clocks for Christmas a couple yrs ago. There are a ton of variations you can put into them. Yours look great. I like the faces. One variation I did, because I found the tile costs excessive, was to put a portrait where the tile went. I just love these clocks.

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112939 posts in 2331 days


#2 posted 01-15-2012 06:13 AM

Practice makes perfect ,enjoy the process.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View Rick's profile (online now)

Rick

7342 posts in 1786 days


#3 posted 01-15-2012 07:13 AM

Nice Project! Very well done!

-- How long is a Minute? That depends on which side of the Bathroom Door You're On!

View T. D. Reid's profile

T. D. Reid

275 posts in 1098 days


#4 posted 01-15-2012 02:58 PM

Looks great! I think that woodworkers are doing more than our share to stimulate the economy buying Motawi tiles to build these clocks. I got my new issue of Woodsmith Magazine yesterday and low and behold what is the cover project but an A&C style clock with a Motawi tile inset into it. We should probably start supporting local ceramic tile makers in our area and use their work in our projects. I’m going to build one soon. lol

-- Head to the shop its calling you – Todd

View Ken90712's profile

Ken90712

15337 posts in 1942 days


#5 posted 01-15-2012 06:11 PM

Well done, always love looking at G&G

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View s_grifter's profile

s_grifter

167 posts in 1221 days


#6 posted 01-17-2012 03:29 AM

Simply quite beautifull work.

View bondogaposis's profile

bondogaposis

2764 posts in 1105 days


#7 posted 01-17-2012 05:22 AM

I really like your clocks, very nice work. They are fun projects.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View KenBee's profile

KenBee

108 posts in 1389 days


#8 posted 03-25-2012 07:44 PM

Nice looking all, but for that style clock I prefer the QS White Oak for its authenticity. I too am getting into building clocks and am buying up as much QS White Oak as I can afford which will be used for 75% of my clocks. As far as the other 25% of my clocks, they will be mostly Maple and Walnut with various other exotic woods thrown into the mix occasionally. One of the things I like about QS White Oak is the fact it can be finished with various kinds of finishes giving it several different appearances from antique to modern. Since deciding to build clocks I have collected a few books as well as plans for clocks and it seems as if most, but not all clocks were made with QS White Oak until early in the 20th Century.

-- If it won't fit get a BIGGER hammer.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase