|Project by Andy||posted 01-13-2012 10:17 PM||2315 views||7 times favorited||34 comments|
Its not real…its just a prop :-)
I designed this propellor after wanting one for years. I made it for my son as an anniversary gift.
The overall shape and proportions are based on general details found in books, pictures and online sources.
I learned that the pitch can be a variety of angles and the direction either a right or left all depending on its purpose. Props can be for pulling as in a front mounted application or a pusher if its behind the cockpit. It turns out that most any wood was used at one time or another depending on the factory making them and the available timber. Since I wasnt trying to make a replica, the details were up to me. The only real criterion for me was proportion. I knew I wanted a large one, so I started off with length and balanced everything off that. This one is 83” x 6” wide x 3” thick.
I glued up some pretty clear pine into a billet 8’ long x 8’’ wide x 4’’ thick.
Starting with the hub, I marked center and made two circle jigs for a router to scribe both the outside and then the inside profile. I had to mark stopping points for the blades and blended them in later.
I bored the 8 mounting holes, just made something up that looked logical.
The brass bolt is just a std carriage bolt painted with an antique color and clear coated. It connects to a wall bracket to hang the prop sideways on the wall. The bracket is mounted first to the wall and then the prop is bolted to it. This lets it stand off the wall a couple of inches.
For the blades I made two masonite templates to the exact size and shape. One will do but I found it easier to get everything layed out correctly by using two. Its easy to get mixed up because the ends of the propellor are opposites. One tip is pointing up and one down.
Then there is the angle of sweep, the pitch of the blades to layout.
I bought a model airplane prop, made from wood, to use as a model but it didnt look like pictures of ones for full size planes, so I gave it to my grandson.
I just eyeballed the pitch from pictures, knowing that they vary anyway and found something that worked with the thickness of the billet and looked good to my eye. I cut this on the bandsaw by tilting the table and feeding in from one end for one blade and cutting out the other by pulling it through from the back of the blade. I cleaned it all up and blended it smooth with a drawknife, handplanes, and a palm sander.
The finish is several colors, layered and then glazed with a darker color all to give the effect of an antique.
I have it at my house for a bit to store it, but I dont want to let it go.
I guess I will have to make one for me…maybe white oak..hmmmm
Thanks for looking,
-- If I can do it, so can you. www.artboxesbyandy.com