|Project by dspahn||posted 01-13-2012 04:17 AM||1674 views||4 times favorited||2 comments|
I shoot a lot of pool. And I’ve seen things like The Claw, and thought to myself that I could make one of those. So I did. And, because “Claw” was already taken, I’m calling it The Fang. ;) It’s nice that you can break it down, which makes it have a smaller footprint than the Claw. When I do the next one, the depressions where the cue actually rests will be deeper and more defined.
Olive wood, pretty green, turned on the lathe, sanded to 600 grit. Then parted, and sectioned (the two larger pieces are from one branch, the two connecting pieces are from another), with the ends cleaned up on the disk sander. Then the drill press bored some holes in each of the larger pieces, and the band saw put the slots in the connectors. (Yes, I did get that idea from Tinker Toys. ;) ) Finally, the disk sander made the flats on the two larger pieces (seen in pic 4).
Finish is a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil.
P.S. It’s really not as crooked as what you see in pic 2. That’s just due to me having to contort to get my shadow out of the picture.