|Project by cajunpen||posted 01-11-2012 10:16 PM||1905 views||0 times favorited||15 comments|
This started out as just a box, with no particular design in mind. I first cut the 4 sides and intended to use my box joint jig to creat box joints for joining the 4 sides. Changed my mind and decided to butt joint them and insert some contrasting dowels. I used the Bloodwood to conceal the end grain of the side pieces. The Bloodwood is 1/8” strips. The side panels were offset 1/8” so the strips would be flush with the front and rear panels.
Next decision – how to attach the lid. I was going to use brass pins, but then I saw a Bible Box on Lumberjocks that had hinges on the sides and thought that I’d like to try that. I couldn’t get the hinges working as smoothly as I would have liked them to be. I had a 1/2” maple dowel in the side for the hinges to swing on (the hinges are actually on the top of the box now) I had to drill it out and replace it with a walnut dowel. This explains why there are 5 1/4” dowels and 1 1/2” dowel. I finally decided to just have a lift off type lid, so I rabbited the edges so that lid would set down into the box.
My son comes over and sees the box. He asked if he could have it and naturally I say yes. Then he asks if I could put a divider in the middle so he could use it for storing 2 different styles of guitar pics (he buys them by the gross). Since the box is already assemled my only options was to rip a 3/8” deep slot in the center of a piece of 3/4” Maple and cut a piece of 1/8” Walnut for the divider – problem solved.
Woods used: Curly Maple, Bloodwood, Walnut and Mahogany. Finish is General Wipe On Oil.
-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/