|Project by Gopherit||posted 01-11-2012 11:29 AM||14867 views||22 times favorited||23 comments|
I was inspired by these two projects I saw online:
I used a combination of scrap and new material because I didn’t have enough scrap.
The dimensions are roughly 3’ x 5’ x 1.25” with hopes of seating six. I sized the table’s area for the potential to be re purposed as a headboard should a future living arrangement dictate an alternative use.
The wood varieties I used were: ash, hickory, walnut, cherry, red oak, white oak, and maple.
I ordered the legs from http://hairpinlegs.com/. Got speedy delivery and exactly what I expected. Each leg is completely uniform, as far as I can tell. I installed metal threads under the table to make them removable.
The hardest part was planning the layout and ensuring random distribution of the wood. I really had to fight my urge to over plan, which I thought would end up making the wood distribution look contrived.
This is the biggest project I’ve made. I gained familiarity with many of the readily accessible hardwoods that I think I will use a lot in the future. Plenty of good practice with the jointer, table saw, and planer. The size and number of glue-ups were also new to me.
I finished the table with a shellac wash, followed by brushing on four or five thick coats of polyurethane and wiping on four or five thinner coats of gel polyurethane.