|Project by HeirloomWoodworking||posted 03-13-2008 03:03 AM||2506 views||9 times favorited||17 comments|
Here is a piece that I recently created.
It is a a simple cherry blanket chest, made using raised panel construction and lined in aromatic cedar..
The interesting part of the piece to me it the wood.
I came by a load of scap wood from a window and door company. Literally a pickup load of hundreds pieces of wood. The rough lumber was a mixture of oak, poplar, birch, cherry and walnut. In various widths, thickness, lengths and grades.
I started by sorting the wood by species then worked on sawing, and planing the pieces to straighten and true them. I then tried to match grain and color (in the cherry and walnut especially) of each of the hundreds of pieces of lumber that I had laying on my garage floor. That was too much hassle, so I just gathered up a pile of the sticks, made sure I had at least 2 smooth sides on each piece, then randomly edge glued and clamped them into individual boards approximately 1×12”x12’.
After the glue dried I ran the boards through my surface planer until I had nice smooth and true 1×12’s, some of them made of 12-15 individual pieces of lumber. (I am sure that my neightbors were very tired of hearing the hours of annoying whining of that planer.)
With the oak I made the queen a new bathroom vanity, bathroom wall cabinet, and doors for the linen closet. With the cherry I made this chest. I once tried to count the individual pieces of wood in the piece, but it is in the hundreds.
I like the look of the contrasting heart and sap wood pieces that occur randomly throughout the case. The only metal fastners on the piece are in the hinge and the lid supports, all other joints are glue only.
I finished it with several coats of Watco Dainish oil (natural) and 5 coats of semi-gloss poly. I have made several chests of this type, but I think that I will be keeping this one in the family.
Thanks For letting me share.
-- Trevor Premer Head Termite and Servant to the Queen - Heirloom Woodworking