|Project by Eric M. Saperstein||posted 01-06-2012 08:13 AM||2729 views||6 times favorited||13 comments|
This desk arrived in need of some help – a flaking dark lacquer finish, the desktop veneer was peeling horribly and had a dozen previous repairs, it just looked like it needed leather, and it had some structure issues.
Broken down and rebuilt – the top stripped off down to the solid wood substrait we then added new 1/4” oak to the surface and set it up for a leather insert. We also added a thin rope bead around the boarder to blend in the new desk surface.
Appliques were all removed and reglued. The drawers were reglued, feed were removed and reglued. Obviously the desk was refinished. A combination of analine and oil stains with a Waterlox tung oil finish.
The trick as always is restore it, but keep the old look and in cases like this blend in the new wood to look like it’s 100 years old!
-- Eric M. Saperstein, Master Craftsman www.artisansofthevalley.com