|Project by Will_Wood||posted 01-05-2012 10:04 PM||3538 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
As one of the final steps in our home renovation, I built cabinets for our living room. The cabinets house the audio/video equipment and keeps it out of reach of our young kids (thanks to the universal remote with Radio Frequency!). They also provide storage for kids’s books and other random stuff for the living room. The shelves are relatively minimal because I worked around the existing windows and left a generous opening for the TV. I used pretty simple techniques. I built and leveled baseframes before installing 24” deep base cabinets constructed from birchply and poplar faceframes. I added an applied bead molding to the shelf openings and made the shelves adjustable through drilling holes for shelf pins (pegboard makes a cheap template). I made cope/stick inset doors and installed them with european hinges. I left open spaces for cable chases between the base cabinets and up to the TV location for cable management, and even remembered to pre-load a fishing cable for the next time I need to pull a cable. I must have been in a little bit of a hurry, as I included a board with some obvious (after the fact!) warping, which resulted in one of my inset doors not sitting flush in the corner when closed (yet another reason to get my planer/jointer restoration project completed!). I’ll replace the door next time I’m building doors for a project. One of the best things I learned through this process was how to use Google Sketchup. I created this portion of my living room in the program as a starting point in order to experiment with different dimensions/scales of cabinets. It was a great tool for determining how the different elevations and planes would relate to one another. I was a little concerned the deeper base cabinets would make the relatively recessed mantle area look awkward, but I was able to experiment in the program and satisfy these concerns before wasting any wood or effort. I completed over nights/weekends in a couple of weeks or so in 2010.
Photo 1 is the final product. Photo 2 is the before shot (with one of my first woodworking projects – a TV cabinet – in the foreground). Photo 3 shows the coping profile I used on the doors and flat panels.