|Project by airfieldman||posted 01-03-2012 08:05 PM||958 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
So, this is my first project that I would classify as woodworking. I have done several other projects, mostly shop improvements and jigs. I have also done a simple platform bed based on PurpLev’s project. That came out nice, but the way I did it, I couldn’t really call it woodworking. More like wood cutting.
This project was inspired by Dan’s project. I really liked his, but had to make it my own. The feet and the supporting arms splay to reflect each other (see picture 2). The feet splay is provides sufficient stability, however if I were to do it again, I would exaggerate the angle even more. I used poplar, which was ok. I was concerned about its strength, but I have found it to be sufficient.
The best part about this was that I got to learn some new skills. This was the first time I ever chamfered an edge (as shown in picture 3) and discovered that the corners don’t have to match exactly, but can be fine-tuned with sanding. I also worked with tenons, both stub (picture 4) and through (picture 5). As well as angled joints (picture 6). These skills I need work on. That’s ok. I have a life time to do that.
I finished the project with Watco Danish Oil. I expected to paint the project, going against my preferences, but fortunately my son wanted a natural look. Knowing that poplar doesn’t take stain very well I went with oil. This really made the grain pop. Very pleased with that.
Thanks for looking
-- Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut it with a chainsaw.