|Project by Karson||posted 01-03-2012 12:35 AM||4757 views||5 times favorited||29 comments|
Well I got a few Shaker Candle boxes made up for the family. Our family Christmas is later in Jan so I got a little extra time to get them finished.
What that really meant was I could taker a longer time putting on the Gel Poly top coat. I turned the heat on in the bathroom in the shop and let the finish cure without having the smell in the house.
I made 4 boxes from Ambrosia Maple. I picked up this wood almost a 1,000 days ago. I finally starting to do something with it.
I used my new spline jig to cut the splines for the corners.
All of the boxes were built with all 4 corners matching. Where you resaw 1” wood and then wrap the box where the Ambrosia grain goes around the corners
The splines were made with some 1/4” maple and mahogany. I glued it into a 3/4” thick piece then I cut 1/16” slices off the blank to make the spline.
I assembled one mahogany box to try out the splines. That’s the mahogany box on the left. When I did that I found that the spline almost became invisible. So the rest of the mahogany boxes had straight maple splines. The darker boxes are 3 Mahogany and 1 Sapele. One of the Mahogany boxes was given as a door prize at the Mason Dixon Woodworkers banquet.
One of the Maple boxes has been sent by Pony Express to my son The rest wil be given to my daughters at our Christmas party.
I made a new jig to also cut the 45 deg corners. I guess I need to post that project also.
The front of the box was made 1/16” wider than the other pieces. I cut the groves that the top slides in and then I cut the front grove off and then glued it to the top. That way the box has a more finished look.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †