|Project by antmjr||posted 01-01-2012 03:37 PM||5379 views||6 times favorited||8 comments|
Hi all and happy new year to all of you!
May this damn 2012 bring lots of money to everyone, we do know well how to spend them in a moment ;-)
It usually happened that I bought some used books with abebooks and the like, wishing every time to be able to bookbind them again. So at long last I decided to give it a try. First I bought the right manual, published in London 111 years ago.
A sewing-frame consists of three elements: the bed, the uprights with their nuts, and the crossbar.
I built the bed from a piece of formica laminate top, taken away from an old kitchen; all around it, I glued some black locust from my garden (it’s always the same tree I cut down and lumbered seven or eight years ago). In the corners I threaded the holes, to insert the uprights.
I turned the uprights with my lathe, then I threaded them by hand with this 1-1/2'' tap:
You usually find that the uprights are way taller; the reason is the professional bookbinders were used to sew more books than one on the same cords at the same time. I for one don’t need it, so my columns are shorter. The crossbar is a small board; you see there is a copper rivet too, so as to prevent the possibility of cracking along the slit.
Here my successful attempt to bind an old book again, and below the way the cords are fastened under the bed by means of some wooden keys.
I end with few pics of the press, out of Hungarian black locust – the nuts are out of black locust from my garden (just out of curiosity, as you see our Italian black locust is clearer, in honey tone, and smaller in dimension).
More pics here on my picasa web album, and here below a little tutorial in four steps, this one is the first, made by a guy from Florence (it is in Italian, but you can understand everything as well – for those who do not know anything on the subject).