|Project by Sman||posted 12-28-2011 08:35 PM||1302 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
These are 4 different jar things with lids, my father was looking at Japanese Tea caddies on ebay but they are 50-100 dollars each and ship from japan, so he commissioned me to make him one and make a set to give away to his friends.
The first picture is actually the last one I made, it was quite a bit better than the others IMO. In the third pic are the first 3 starting from the left, the first two on the left need the lids fitted better and so they still have the bottom tenons to allow for easy attachment to the lathe. The one on the right (3rd pic) is done and so is the one from the first picture.
I used an antler stopper, it was fun putting it on the lathe and making something useful from a piece of antler I found in the woods.
I’m happy with all of them because he only wanted “Something unique, and well crafted” and so far the two that are done are impeccable, a few places with torn grain that I could not remove (I tried 36 grit with a high powered orbital and all I made was a flat spot with torn grain in it).
Honestly the antler lid fits beyond perfect, I am amazed.
Thanks for looking, I would love to hear advice/suggestions.