|Project by jpl||posted 03-09-2008 04:19 PM||5518 views||23 times favorited||19 comments|
Here is my newly completed floor lamp. I wanted something to complement an old Morris Chair we have, but my options were either box store / online schlok or mega expensive pieces I did not like. Plus I wanted the finish to somewhat match the chair’s finish.
The original plan came from an online article in popular mechanics, which I modified to suit my needs and style. The central post was cut from one 4/4 board, with mitered edges such that the QS figure would show all around. The base and corbels were 5/4, corbels cut with a jigsaw and spokeshaved, and all chamfers hand planed instead of routed. Someday an entire project will be hand tool built… Or at least dimensioned using power tools, then unplugged from there on!
The shade was another challenge rescued by the internet. I found a great article online on making one, which set up all the math to compute the various miter cuts for my own dimensions. In hindsight, I would have made the shade pieces rectangular and a bit smaller, instead of 3/4” square, because it is rather heavy. I build 2 forms, one inner and one outer, to help construct the four sides by keeping all angles uniform. The shade was a good exercise in lap joinery. The prototype shade was cut by hand, but not accurate enough, so the final one was cut using the tablesaw. Finally, the shade panels were cut from 1/8” plexiglass, with a muslin fabric spray glued to one side. They were then screwed into rabbets routed inside of each frame panel, so I can remove them if need be.
It was amazing that it all went together. I was sweating on the shade, with the smaller available real estate due to the compound miters and rabbets for the plexi. Just barely had room for everything.
Finished with a mix of TransTint water dyes, sealed with Waterlox sealer, glazed with two coats of Barclay Golden Oak, then two more coats of Waterlox satin.
Sources of Interest: