|Project by Bob Collins||posted 12-27-2011 02:03 PM||2388 views||7 times favorited||7 comments|
After seeing similar designed bowls on another web site (they were turned with Corian) I decided to have a go using perspex and plywood. Seemed simple enough, cutting 8” x 8” plywood and perspex, cutting out the centres, arranging the pattern and then gluing them into an 8” cube. Found that a polyurethene based glue
worked on both media (always used the glue in a well ventalated space) I did the gluing outside in the open air.
Clamped the cube for 24 hours and then cut across diagonally with the band saw and as in pic 6 you have two hollowed bowls in the rough. I trimmed up all the excess wood to make it easier to turn. Main cutting chisel used was a sharp scraper at a reasonably slow speed. With a scew chisel any catch will dig in and chips the perspex.
I am pleased with the first rersult but next attempt I will take more time and care and maybe follow instructions.
CAN THE ADMINISTRATORS EXPLAIN TO ME WHY I HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLE POSTING PROJECTS. THIS IS THE EIGTH ATTEMPT TO GET THIS ONE DONE.
-- Bob C, Australia. Your best teacher is your last mistake.