|Project by dustprocrastinator||posted 12-27-2011 03:09 AM||3354 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
The rocking horse was made using the Family Tradition plans, which are great because full sized templates are provided. I used transfer paper to make templates on 1/4 inch birch plywood. I then took the templates and used turner’s tape to secure them onto my roughly cutout stock and cut to finish on the router table. The reason I did this was just like a previous lumberjocker I did not want to spend that much time sanding, everyone’s favorite!!
Body = Padauk
Inlay = Yellow heart/ Satin wood
Tail and Mane = Wenge
Rockers = Hard Maple
Saddle = Tatajuba, poorman’s yellow heart but with more warmth than yellow heart. I felt that tatajuba would look more like leather than yellow heart.
It was all finished with a wipe on wipe off poly oil mix, except for the tail and mane. I wanted to keep the grain pattern on the wenge, and that is why I used a water based poly.
Thank you all for looking. I hope you all have a great year!