|Project by RLindberry||posted 12-26-2011 08:43 AM||2884 views||14 times favorited||12 comments|
Well, after reading poroskywood's blog article on the drunken cutting board, I decided to give it a go for this Christmas. It looked easy enough, and I suppose it should have been. However, I started off by only figuring for half of the wood needed, which forced me to scrounge for scraps of other woods. In the end, that ended up being a plus, as I got two completely different looks.
The second part of the learning curve was definitely pressing them up. The strips in between acted like springs trying to force everything apart, and making it difficult to get everything lined up properly. It might have helped to press them up individually, rather than two at a time. So while they weren’t perfect, I was pretty happy and the recipients were quite pleased.
The ones on the left are Brazilian Walnut and Hickory with Eastern Hard Maple strips and the ones on the left are Hard Maple and Red Oak with Claro Walnut strips. They have a tung oil finish on them which is one of my favorites.
Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.