|Project by Don Carrier||posted 12-25-2011 08:34 PM||1493 views||9 times favorited||11 comments|
I guess this is my first true ‘furniture’ project. It’s a cabinet for my wife to store her garden seeds. I’ve built plenty of tables but never anything with drawers. The top, drawer fronts, and carcass are made from reclaimed barn find cherry. (200 years old and was the actual support beams for the barn) Each horizontal set of drawers are book matched. The slat sides and back are from wormy sassafras (From the same Barn) The drawers are from a pin oak I fell in my yard in Sep 2010. I learned a lot. The drawers runners are wood (some of the not so nice looking cherry) The drawer boxes required building a finger joint jig. The joinery on the frame is Kreg. The finish on the frame and sides is homemade wipe-on varnish. The top although very shiny is satin poly. I’m proud of the top. I completed the entire finish in 1 day using water based poly and a trick I know from auto painting. The actual labor was less than 1 hour, most of the day spent wainig for the 4 coats to dry. It really shines but does not look like plastic. This was my first quart of water-based poly and I imagine I’ll never use anything else. I love it. The wooden drawer pulls are store bought from a local mom and pop hardware. I learned everything I needed to complete this project on lumberjocks, I’m hooked. Thanks to all who helped me struggle through jigs, drawers, and finishes.
Happy holidays to all of you. Let’s do this again next year!