LumberJocks

Japanese-influenced bed for my son

  • Advertise with us
Project by JasonD posted 12-24-2011 11:10 PM 1990 views 3 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

My son needed a new bed and asked me to build one for him.

I’d never built anything that big before. Everything in my shop is sized for medium-to-small projects; my bench is only 62” long. The side rails of his bed (including the length of the tenons) is over 80”. That made for a few challenges, but it was a fun project, none the less.

I built this without plans. My son searched the web for a style that he liked and he decided on a Japanese low-stance bed frame. I printed one of the pictures he chose, made a few sketched, measured his mattress, and got to work.

I wanted it to join with all-wood joint; no screws, nails, or bolts were used. For the record, I have nothing against mechanical fasteners, but I wanted the challenge of tackling the design he chose with just wood to wood knock-down joinery.

I had a big delay midway through the project dealing with bilateral hernias (from exercise, not related to building this).

It was built 99% with hand tools. I used my bandsaw for two long rips (rough cutting the side rails).

The wood is yellow pine (longleaf). I ripped it from the outsides of 2×12s to get the desired grain orientation. The joinery is bridle joints that overlap between the footboard / headboard and side rails. There is a mating notch at each intersection of the tenons. The finish is two coats of a milk paint wash (thinned 2-to-1) with a few coats of shellac on top (2lb cut of dewaxed orange).

There were a lot of first in this project for me. It was the first time I’ve ever used bridle joints, milk paint, and shellac in a project. The milk paint was mixed fresh from Old Fashioned Milk Paint powder and the shellac was mixed fresh from flakes bought from Shellac.net.

The pictures are:

#1 – the bed installed in his room

#2 – jointing an edge on one of the side rails

#3 – cutting one of the side rail tenons

#4 – a quick dry fit outside of my shop (there wasn’t enough room in my shop to put it together. lol)

#5 – close up of the joinery

#6 – close up of the finish; showing the overlapped bridle joints

Sorry that some of the pics are blurry. They were taken with my phone.





1 comment so far

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112544 posts in 2301 days


#1 posted 12-25-2011 12:39 AM

Nice work Jason. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase