|Project by dadefreese||posted 12-24-2011 08:50 PM||1455 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
I had a 2’ board of 5/4 ipe left over from a small outdoor project that I didn’t want to waste.
First I resawed the 5/4 ipe on the table saw to get a pair of book matched ~1/2” boards; then I cut to length for the long and short sides. I used my favorite joinery for these smaller projects – variable width, rabbeted finger joints cut on the table saw. It’s not much different than the standard method of cutting fixed spacing joints; I just use appropriate width spacers to get the desired spacing. and then I cut a rabbet in one side; that allows me to add the bottom panel through all four sides without exposing the groove at any point.
The last feature includes a small internal divider made of some scrap cherry I salvaged from a neighbor’s tree; I used a Dremel tool in the plunge router base to cut the stopped dado for the divider and then I cut stub tenons on the cherry to fit the dado. The Dremel tool did not do well with the ipe….which meant of course that I had a justification for getting a compact router set to do that type of cutting in the future.
I originally planned to use teak oil on this since I have had good results with that and ipe on a prior project, but once I sanded, I liked the smooth look of it so it is going to remain unfinished. Lastly, I added a simple stick on felt sheet onto the two sections of the bottom and that was it.
I noticed that I did have a problem with splintering and chipout with the ipe as I have had in the past. I tried to minimize it with blue tape and that did seem to improve my performance. I’ll have to include that step for future projects.