|Project by Sanman||posted 12-24-2011 04:03 AM||4653 views||4 times favorited||17 comments|
After starting my first 2×4 box, I realized I was making many mistakes. I started my second 2×4 box shortly after starting the first.
Each box is started by riping a 2×4 into 1/4 inch strips. This is lots of fun and makes lots of sawdust. I picked out the better strips and glued them together to form the lid and bottom. I didn’t try to glue more than one joint at a time and had a lot less trouble this way. 1/4 inch is still not very forgiving as far as alignment goes.
I think I’ll try 1/2 inch boxes next.
I’ve changed wood sources. I’m no longer using the spare 2×4’s from the back of the shed. I’ve graduated to pallets from the local retail store.
I also experimented heavily with staining and finishing with polyurethane. The staining was pretty straight forward. I pretreated the wood with minwax pre stain wood conditioner followed by a redoak stain. The poly gave me lots of problems. I was completely frustrated by the brush strokes so I tried pouring the poly on. That left an interesting swirl effect that I couldn’t capture on picture.
I finished up today with some hardware that I had previously purchased at the local Ace Hardware.
-- I'll get it done when I get a-round-tuit.