|Project by USCJeff||posted 12-23-2011 07:55 PM||1471 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
It’s that time of year again. My 6 year old daughter, Hannah, is into American Girl Dolls for about the last year. Kanani is pictured in the main shot in her Christmas dress. Hannah has the matching dress as part of her Christmas presents. Her teacher at school had the kids write down what they would like in a “holiday” gift. She wrote down a “dolll Peeano, because I like Peeano”. Got to love 1st graders sounding out words to spell.
The hardwood was a species similar to maple, but I don’t think it was. Not sure which, but it’s a painted so who cares really so long as it can hold an edge? The body of the piano was cut to shape. I cut the lid of it from the body at this point. I made a hardboard template to guide the router in hollowing out the belly. Similar process in making the recess for the keys.
I found a large spool of the wire in our craft closet and used it to mimic the strings of the real deal. Stopped short of making the hammers though. I wanted it to be able to open and close so I used some tiny hinges. Used two for the lid which opens slightly beyond perpendicular. I used another for the prop.
The legs are simply tapered the same amount on all 4 sides. Each are attached by dowels to the bottom of the piece. The support with the pedals has two vertical coves running the length. I drilled holes on the bottom that left half the drill bit drilling air to create a half circle on the bottom. I glued in round dowels into the half circles. Once dried, I sanded the Dowels flat on bottom and used sandpaper to shape the petals slightly.
The keys were a little tedious. I started by penciling all of the lines for the crevices between the white keys. Using a fine saw and a block to help keep the cut on line I lightly scored all the pencil marks. This still left some fuzzy lines here and there. I used a piece of sandpaper and an angled scrap of wood to sand the crevices smoother. The black keys are hardboard sprayed black. Gluing these was not so fun. It took a little effort to clamp a board across them to secure them while drying without moving them in the process.
-- Jeff, South Carolina