|Project by MarkJ||posted 12-23-2011 06:09 AM||1476 views||3 times favorited||2 comments|
I didn’t actually set out to make coasters here. I’m thinking about a cutting board to make for my dad and decided to glue up a small section of wood in the tumbling block form (following the blog entry from degoose) to see what I’d be getting myself into if I went that route. I then had to figure out what to with this hand full of tumbling blocks that I ended up with… so we have coasters. Of course end grain probably isn’t the best idea for a coaster (condensation soaking up in the end grain and all) so after gluing the pattern up, I sliced off 1/8” sections and glued walnut slices to the back of it to help stabilize things followed by many coats of Arm-R-Seal.
As for the cutting board… I think a few more small experiments like this are in order before jumping in. Getting just this small number of blocks glued up was a challenge and I still ended up with gaps.