|Project by Sanman||posted 12-23-2011 05:21 AM||3891 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
Here it is. This was a scrap piece of 2×4 lumber found in the back of the shed, left over from something…... After ripping it to 1/4 inch in several directions on my table saw, I ended up with three pieces to glue together for the top and three for the bottom, as well as four pieces for the sides.
First mistake (of many) was trying to glue too many joints at one time. Since the pieces were moving all over the place, I added the three straps perpendicular to the other three pieces to hold them still. The problem with adding the straps too soon was I couldn’t line them up with the top and bottom, so they were off center when the box was assembled. I tried to add small strap connectors to tie the whole thing together but this led to further errors. First the straps just don’t fit, too many gaps in the work.
Second mistake, on the rear (which should have been the front, another mistake) I had to cut a 45 on the straps to allow the lid to open. Since this was well into the project and I had already stained and polly’d the piece, I figured, lessons learned, place it on the shelf and store stuff in it. :) Please don’t laugh and type at the same time, it leads to lots of spelling errors.
-- I'll get it done when I get a-round-tuit.