|Project by Jim||posted 12-20-2011 05:29 PM||1329 views||4 times favorited||10 comments|
I have been wracking my brain for the past few months, wanting to incorporate more color in my bottle stoppers. I’ve bought dyes and exotic woods, but none ever had the amount of color I wanted, nor could I only dye small strips or patterns (without a pressure pot at least). Every time I dyed, as soon as I turned below the surface edge, I got the natural colored wood back. So, after looking around and not finding any other solutions, I headed to my scrap box.
Ever since I started making pens last year with the wife, I told her to keep all the cutoffs from the acrylic blanks so if anyone wanted a specific color we would at least have a physical example of what was available. Well I’m glad I did. A few of the blanks were long enough that I was able to split them in half on the bandsaw, rough them up for some CA glue to hold to, and pressed them between some wood and turn a stopper out of them. Sorry that two of the pictures aren’t so great, I literally finished gluing the stoppers in and then ran them to the buyer within minutes of being done so I didn’t have time to set up for good shots.
P.S. the last one doesn’t have any acrylic, just another stopper pic I had that somehow got into the mix.
-- -- Jim - Kokomo, Indiana