Cherry Lingerie Chest

  • Advertise with us
Project by swampjack80 posted 12-20-2011 05:50 AM 2741 views 10 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This project consisted of a lot of “firsts” for me. This was my first try at flush faced drawers. I was a little worried the gaps would be uneven,but luckily they turned out right. I used sliding dovetails for the drawer runners (also a first), which I found to be a very solid method. This was also the first thing I’ve built out of cherry wood and I must say, I love this wood! It has a beautiful grain and is great to work with. I’ve used mostly red oak in past so the cherry was a wonderful change of pace. After many hours, some Danish Oil and coat of Briwax, I had this beauty. I wish this was going in my house instead of a customer’s. I’ve been doing woodwork for about 2 years now and this is definately the nicest thing I’ve built so far. This dresser was a joy to build and I learned a great deal while building it.

-- "I believe that our Heavenly Father invented man because he was disappointed in the monkey." - Mark Twain

20 comments so far

View a1Jim's profile


113839 posts in 2670 days

#1 posted 12-20-2011 06:31 AM

OOO this is so fine , I really like this great chest.

-- Custom furniture

View ShaneA's profile (online now)


5840 posts in 1691 days

#2 posted 12-20-2011 06:44 AM

Beautiful, the cherry looks great. very well done.

View Hallmark's profile


432 posts in 2199 days

#3 posted 12-20-2011 07:00 AM

Well done, looks great! Nice to get some $’s for a lot of firsts.

-- Style is simple, but not my execution of it.

View exelectrician's profile


2304 posts in 1520 days

#4 posted 12-20-2011 09:16 AM

You are more experienced and capable than you think you are. This is eyecatching and beautifully done inside and out.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View dubsaloon's profile


621 posts in 1886 days

#5 posted 12-20-2011 11:09 AM

Nice looking chest. Cherry is some nice looking stuff. Well done.

-- The works of evil people are not the problem. It is the "Good" people standing by and watching not speaking up. Dubsaloon

View workerinwood's profile


2716 posts in 2160 days

#6 posted 12-20-2011 03:36 PM

Beautiful!! Nice design & build.

-- Jack, Albuquerque

View bevins587's profile


33 posts in 1707 days

#7 posted 12-20-2011 04:00 PM

That is a nice piece of furniture.

View BullVictory's profile


57 posts in 1614 days

#8 posted 12-20-2011 04:11 PM

Sweet. Love the wood choice, but I really love the feet/trim along the bottom

View NBeener's profile


4808 posts in 2266 days

#9 posted 12-20-2011 05:17 PM

Beautiful as a piece. Beautiful in execution. Beautiful in detail.

Are you picking up what I’m laying down ? It’s beautiful :-)

-- -- Neil

View helluvawreck's profile


19557 posts in 1959 days

#10 posted 12-20-2011 06:00 PM

This is a beautiful piece and you did a wonderful job on it.


-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View SPalm's profile


5186 posts in 2974 days

#11 posted 12-20-2011 07:52 PM

That is really nice. Wow, you did an excellent job on it.

And I love’s me some cherry.

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View NBeener's profile


4808 posts in 2266 days

#12 posted 12-20-2011 08:52 PM

”And I love’s me some cherry.”

Amen. Your choice of species was … quite simply … just the cherry on top ;-)

-- -- Neil

View swampjack80's profile


53 posts in 2141 days

#13 posted 12-20-2011 10:10 PM

Thanks everybody for the compliments. It means alot considering that I learned probably 85% of the techniques from this site. The other 15% was learned through a bunch of scrap wood,haha.
I’m glad yall like it.

-- "I believe that our Heavenly Father invented man because he was disappointed in the monkey." - Mark Twain

View CharlieM1958's profile


16143 posts in 3311 days

#14 posted 12-20-2011 11:03 PM

Downright gorgeous. I don’t think I could have parted with this one.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Don W's profile

Don W

16833 posts in 1660 days

#15 posted 12-20-2011 11:08 PM

that’s very nice. I like working with cherry as well. I like your trim detail, its just enough, but not over the top.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. -

showing 1 through 15 of 20 comments

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics