|Project by rweitz||posted 12-20-2011 04:24 AM||1864 views||4 times favorited||7 comments|
Another gift – and my first attempt at some box joints, – and also reclaimed wood.
The thing I like best about first projects is that I can give them to mom and she still loves them, flaws and all.
I used my miter gauge extension that I built and added a box joint jig to it for this project. It only does 1/4” joints, but that’s fine by me. I thought I had posted about my miter gauge but I can’t find it. I guess more pics on that project later.
The wood for this project came from a old pallet. It looked like mahogany, but much of it was very soft and almost as light as balsa wood. I was also able to try my hand for another first on my bro-in-law’s planer, its’ more like a thicknesser in this case. I planed all the wood to 1/2 before I started and then just tried to come up with some ideas on what to make. Also you might note there is a band of a different wood, that is just some old oak trim pulled from our bathroom remodel last summer, re-purposed for this box. I had to add the oak strips to make the top large enough and to make the sides of the box tall enough for the tea packaging.
I stained with minwax, and then used a satin water based poly, which gave me some trouble getting on smooth. Little bubbles left some rough spots on the final project. I used one of those disposable brushes with a thin layer of foam topped with fine bristles, but still had problems. I’ve used a brush on other projects and still had some of this problem, so I might just give up on this poly finish, I’ll try a wipe on technique next time I think. Any kind of brush or applicator just seems to introduce air bubbles.
-- You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do. - Henry Ford