|Project by Misty||posted 12-18-2011 10:12 PM||2759 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
I have very limited space and supplies at the moment. I decided that I wanted to build some garden beds for the upcoming planting season and since I didn’t have a job yet, I decided to get as much wood as possible out of the scrap pile beside our house.
I don’t have a workbench so I used the BBQ, some bricks and a wheelbarrow and did the best that I could. Fortunately since I was using scrap wood, if the finished project looked a bit more rustic than my usual style, it was no big deal.
I had three areas where I wanted garden beds. Two windows on the southern side of the house, on the terrace actually, and beside the garden shed. I took my measurements and then dove into the scraps to see what I could do. The two window garden beds were small enough that I didn’t have to use anything except my found wood to make them.
I floored the window beds with pieces of old wooden siding. It worked perfectly as a material since it no longer lined up perfectly so I knew that any extra water would easily find a way out of the box.
The larger garden bed was too big. I didn’t have any more scraps of the right size so I built a scrap wood frame and bought a couple rolls of wooden border to use for the sides. Not counting the soil, the garden beds cost me a grand total of 18 bucks.
They’ve already made it through one year of use and this next spring I plan to dive back into the scrap pile to see if I can salvage enough supplies for one more garden bed.