|Project by kjb007||posted 12-18-2011 10:11 PM||5032 views||9 times favorited||11 comments|
Well I finally got around to posting my first finished major project. Its a queen sized solid bubinga bed frame finished with 5 coats of tung oil. I designed it to be used with just a mattress, and no boxspring. I currently have a 10” thick mattress which puts the surface of the mattress 21” above the floor, or just around the height of my knees. It works for me. I did use mortise and tenon joinery on the head and footboards, which turned out to be a little challenging cutting the tenons on the headboard pieces because they were so long. Mortises were made with drilling and chiseling. (As I side note, I now it looks like its time to replace my cordless drill batteries as they no longer hold a charge – although it may be time for a new one altogether). I am actually pretty happy with the surface mounted keyhole brackets from Rockler too. The fit was very snug and didn’t leave a gap.
I only used my table saw, chisel set, cordless drill, and random orbital sander to make the project. Since then I’ve picked up a planer, am now researching band saw models and will be making a coffee table for a friend. All in all it was a fun project to build that I wound up sketching out while sitting in an airport on work travel waiting for my plane.