|Project by linjay||posted 12-18-2011 07:01 PM||2450 views||10 times favorited||12 comments|
Yes it is complete—for now. I’m calling it Phase 1. Someday phase 2 will be adding a few more drawers and electrifying it so I can turn router and vacuum on with one switch. I need to build a lot of other things before even thinking about phase 2.
I’d like to thank many who have posted router tables and were the basis of this one customized to my needs.
I’ve had the basic purchased router table for about 4 years—sitting on a couple of work mates—which were at least portable and took up a lot of room. My router bits were 10’ away so I was really looking forward to have everything I needed in one place. I added slots to ends of purchased router table to allow clamping a guide rail or something else which is sometimes helpful.
This was made from birch plywood. Drawer sides (oak) dado’d into fronts. Buying 12” slides for this many drawers was going to cost more than I wanted to spend so drawer sides are dado’d and birch guides on inside walls. Slides were attached to side wall before final assemblyso accurate location of mating left and right slides was key to functionalityl. All the drawers had to be exactly the same width so I used a jig to locate dado recesses in fronts to ensure they’d be right. I waxed the drawer side dado’s and the drawers slide really nicely. I also didn’t want to have drawer pulls that could catch clothing and I didn’t want to spend money on them either. I recessed drawer fronts with radiused bowl and tray router bit then added 1/4” thick walnut facing as the pull (bottom edge below upper edge of recess. First time I’d done this and I really like the way it turned out. Drawer faces were made with a little extra material on the bottom edge to allow aome final fitting and perfect gap between drawers. Just installed bottom drawer 1st then determined how much to take off the bottom of the next drwer face.
I used 2.5” casters – 3 have brakes. Phenolic wheels don’t have a lot of grip on a painted, dusty concrete floor—which forced me to 3 instead of the normal 2 which were a bit marginal. Next time I’d go urethane rubber wheels.
-- It's easy when you know how - but that's the hard part. Ontario, Canada