|Project by GunPowder||posted 12-17-2011 12:05 AM||1543 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
OK… this is the last of six (6) church projects that spanned 2006 through re-dedication of the expanded sanctuary in Jan. 2010.
In the first pic you’ll see what was the original configuration of the pipe organ… essentially a base keyboard unit with wings that supported the upper chambers holding the pipes. What I suggested doing was to take this originally “stand alone” built piece, modify it, and then integrate it into the chancel wall of the expanded sanctuary project we commissioned. I would have never tackled this project but what made it possible was that the organ uses “non-voiced” pipes. What this means is that unlike traditional pipe organs which operate via pumped air from a set of bellows… this unit has speaker boards behind the pipes… so all of it is electronic. That said, the shape of the upper pipe chambers and the length & diameter of each pipe does “lend” some acoustic effect. Because of this I had quite a few stubborn-Presbyterians raising many concerns when I reconfigured the pipe set from a “W” stack to a “V” stack allowing the organ to accent what would be the eventual re-installation of the original sanctuary Celtic cross I built back in 2007. Also necessary was to build a partial barrel to fill the gap between the original left & right chambers which had an altogether different construction because of the original “W” stacking of the pipes. This completed project #5.
Once this was solved I turned my attention to the original organ base which I simply “shrouded” with a board & batten panel detail in oak…. and this completed project #6.
And so in the final pic you’ll see pulpit, table, cross, organ, and faux beams which terminate in supporting hammer beams (see “Hammer Beam” project).
Needless to say… I’ve been taking abreak for awhile.
Enjoy and let me know what you think.