|Project by KoryK||posted 12-13-2011 02:29 AM||5998 views||10 times favorited||28 comments|
This is an intarsia piece I made for my 5 year old granddaughter for Christmas this year because she really likes fairies. I found a picture online and made the pattern from that in Inkscape. It ended up being about 257 different pieces including the individual pieces for the flowers. The leafs took a while because of the shaping to make them slope down to the cuts in the center of each. The wings were fun to make because each section took four different woods to make. I was really happy with big piece on the wings because it ended up being the most beautiful piece of curly maple I have seen in a long time. The flowers ended up being the biggest pain because each petal and center were sanded and cut individually. I liked the stockings and dress because the wood colors really popped. The face was made from a technique that I have used several times. I cut out the eyes, nose, eyebrows, and mouth then filled them back in with epoxy mixed with different sawdust’s to color it. If I do this one again I would change the color of the flowers to make them stand out a little better.
Woods used: curly maple, wenge, walnut, cherry, bolivian rosewood, purple heart, yellow heart, red heart, ash, aspen, blood wood, mahogany. It is about 2 ½ feet across by 1 ½ feet tall and is finished with a clear satin finish. It took about 85 hours to make the pattern and the piece.
Thanks for looking
-- If you not making sawdust, your probably wasting your time. Kory