|Project by Mark||posted 12-11-2011 01:54 AM||1296 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
I built two of these candle holders this afternoon, one to keep for my wife & I, and one to give away for Christmas. This was my first time working with ‘real’ wood, I normally limit myself to inexpensive home store pine so that my screw ups don’t get too expensive. After visiting my local lumber store this morning, my wife & I really were impressed by the prices & the helpfulness of the employees. We found some zebrawood that really caught our eye, but at $16.xx a board foot, we couldn’t afford too much. I ended up with 2bf of it in a 6” x 48” long, 1” thick piece.
We also rooted through their ‘drop’ bin and found a nice big piece of hard maple that I just had to have. It was nearly 2” thick, and the price was right at less than $10.
I got all the wood home, and began cutting it to the rough sizes I needed. I don’t have a planer, but a few passes through my Ridgid jointer made it much more manageable. After cutting the maple to length, it looked too plain. My wife & I decided it really needed something else to make it ‘pop’. I figured since I didn’t have too much invested in the material, I’d give an inlay a try. I’d never done one before (and I’m sure I didn’t do this one ‘right’) but I dadoed a groove all round the piece of maple, and then cut some end grain off a piece of zebrawood to make the inlay itself. I spent quite some time sanding each little piece of zebrawood so it would fit, and tapping everything into place.
After sanding everything down to 220 finish, my wife helped rub in a tung oil finish to really make the grain of the two woods pop. I’m really happy with how everything turned out – and quite impressed with the zebrawood inlay especially!
-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe, and hammer to fit.