|Project by MrDan||posted 12-08-2011 01:42 AM||5100 views||10 times favorited||19 comments|
I just finished making a new set of handles for my Marples chisels. I never really liked the bulky plastic handles they came with, and lately I’ve been learning how to use the lathe so I figured I’d just make some new ones. These are made of reclaimed hard maple with copper ferrules. I made a different set awhile back with copper ferrules and really liked the look of them so I decided to use it again. The copper is beautiful, inexpensive and easier to find than brass ferrules. The shape of the handle is based off of my one Lie-Nielsen chisel that I own (which of course is based off the Stanley 750 design). I’ve loved that design since the day I started using my LN chisel and so I tried to incorporate that while accommodating the tang of the Marples chisels. Finished with a couple coats of shellac and rubbed out to a dull sheen.