|Project by HorizontalMike||posted 12-07-2011 02:39 AM||16889 views||39 times favorited||42 comments|
HorizontalMike just HAD to make a Horizontal Mortising Machine, don’t cha’ know… ;-)
Early on I knew that I wanted a 3-axis Horizontal Mortising Machine after watching just how easy it looked when things operated as they were designed. I think I must have watched at least a dozen videos dozens of times EACH, looking for the “Best” solution for me. What I ended up with is a combination of features I gleaned from several other Lumberjocks efforts and inspiration.
This machine now has a pretty decent dust collection system. While I designed this feature, it was with much trial and error in order to get dust collection into the 80-90% range. Much of the gains were incremental and inter-related. The major DC tunnel splits suction up into two major channels: 1.) the center and far side slots (away from the 4in port, and 2.) The main 4in port with 1 1/4in Router feed and a near side slot. Worth NOTING: I did take the time to calculate the cross-section area of my DC system in order to stay “under” what my single hose HF DC system provides. My 4in adapter is actually less than 4in, so that area comes out around 11 sq.in. to work with. I built the far side channel at 4 sq.in and the main DC box feeds the 1 1/4in router hose plus 3 sq.in of slot on its own. As best that I can figure I am using roughly 8-9 sq.in. of the 11 sq.in. available in the “4in” hose. I also added adjustable “dust walls” that actually work well at keeping most dust confined to directly in front of the machine where the DC slots suck it up.
While I knew that I wanted a threaded lifting mechanism, it was fellow LJ Steve Donnelly who fabricated the lifting cradle for my Triton Router. We had to play with this awhile in order to work out the bugs… such as adding longer T-track on the router plexiglass mounting plate on the front and adding a bit of bungee to take some of the weight off of the threaded lift while adjusting router height. This helped keep things from binding.
Another incremental improvement came when I decided to cover up the router “hole” with a piece of Teflon that I had sitting around. Just used a bit of double sticky back tape and drill a hole to fit the bit exactly. All I have to do is peal this plastic piece off when I need to swap out router bits. This made a big improvement in keeping dust down “behind” the machine.
One last feature is the removable “lid” on the DC channel. I used the round “hole” piece/cutout from the 1- 1/4in hose port to make a cam-lock that works like a champ. Every time I have checked, the DC completely empties the machine’s DC channel with NO build up.
All T-Track: Mounted with #8 counter-sunk wood screws, regardless of mounting the track “surface” or “flush”.
Base: T-track surface mounted fore and aft, as you stand in front of the machine.
First MDF platform (Y-axis): Stack of 3 MDF 3/4in glued together. Bottom routed 3/4 thickness to slide on base tracks. Top has two surface mounted T-Tracks running R-to-L.
Second MDF platform(X-axis): Stack of 3 MDF 3/4in glued together. Bottom routed 3/4 thickness to slide R-and-L on first platform. Top is 100% routed and 3 R-to-L Tracks mounted flush with #8 wood screws through the T-track (counter-sunk holes).
Third platform(secondary X-axis): Stack of 2 MDF glued together. NO routing at all. Lever clamps are held down ONLY by just one side of the 4 bolt pattern. The 2 bolt holes on the same side of each of the clamps are actually held by T-Track bolts and are tightened using a hex nut and wrench. This allows me to get away with using MDF here instead of plywood. All clamping is between the T-Track and the mounting plate of each lever clamp, and this spreads the load out and does not indent the MDF.
Z-axis: Router mounted horizontally to 3/8in Plexiglass that is mounted vertically with extended pieces of T-track. NOT seen but important, are two screws (one at the top of each T-track mounted in the wood) that serve as guides for the vertical movement PLUS it keeps the T-track close/almost snug against the vertical box. This eliminates binding of the T-Track when using the lifting mechanism. Two locking T-Thread Knobs are mounted midway up the length of the extended T-Track.
More images HERE with some neat mouseover animations. Enjoy!...
-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."