|Project by OttoH||posted 12-03-2011 06:05 PM||1969 views||2 times favorited||8 comments|
I found myself needing some new tools for the workshop so I went into my scrap woodpile and made a few. First I turned a new wooden mallet, I found the heaviest piece of wood I could in the pile and went from there. After cleaning it up and cutting it square I found that it had some nice features to it, but I was worried about it splitting in the future. So I turned some squared grooves near the end of the head and wrapped it with some nylon craft string that I had sitting around from another project. I laid some Gorilla Glue into the slots and wound it while it was on the lathe, between each layer I added more glue and then finished it off with glue over the top layer. I turned the handle out of some walnut to fit my hand with the thumb extended.
I also found a scratch awl kit at my local Woodcraft store, they were on sale for $5, I turned a comfortable handle for it and use it quite extensively for making the needed marks on my projects.
The last thing is really more of a convenience item than a tool. I drink a lot of water and I have a favorite cup that I use all the time. I do not like the additional flavor of sawdust in my water so I turned a cap for the cup. It sits about ½ an inch down over the lip of the cup and does a great job of keeping the water clean.
-- I am responsible for how I respond to everything in my life - - Deadwood SD