|Project by Chris Davis||posted 12-02-2011 01:53 PM||3779 views||6 times favorited||13 comments|
No it is not broken! This was intentional. The customer wanted a version of the boat bed that was made to look like it had been ship wrecked. There were several techniques that were used. We made the front bow to be removable, made the mast mount at an angle, made cracked side rails, and lots of distressing. Some of the distressing was intense like chipping away at spindles and railings.
Put this on your watch list or favorites the customer is painting a mural in the room. I’ll post an update with it decorated and in the room
It was an overall fun project. Making it look naturally distressed is not as easy as you’d think, well at least for me it wasn’t. I call it placing the distressing marks so that they are naturally random. If that is not an oxymoron I don’t know what is.
It was a queen size. I’ve built one before, but never made any templates for the bow. I had to start from scratch and redesign the curves and trim. That took a little extra time, but I now made and saved templates for the next one.
The finish was a gray primer with a English Chestnut glaze to antique the finish and to highlight the distressing marks. We sealed the glaze in with a satin sheen clear coat. The portholes were even custom finished with a hammered copper. It was finished in November 2011
-- Watch live video from our shop. http://www.wwbeds.com/#!current-projects/c3c1