|Project by emptyjay||posted 11-16-2011 04:34 PM||1873 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
I had a couple of boards of heavily spalted oak lying around, so I made this barley twist nightstand over the past week. It took nine days—four full weekend days and a couple of hours each weekday evening…I figure somewhere in the 40 hour range, including finishing.
The spalted oak is beautiful, but I had to lay out my cuts carefully to avoid the punky areas. It took me a long time to decide on how to glue up the boards for contiguity and grain match, but I think that what I finally landed on works well.
I turned the legs on a Craftsman Routercrafter. No lathe work at all. Lots of hand sanding involved. I think I spent in excess of an hour per leg sanding.
The front apron is cut from a single piece of wood, and drawer is dovetailed with applied cock beading. I accidentally cut my dovetails too deep (the stop on the dovetail jig wasn’t secured tightly), so there are a couple of “character flaws” on the inside front corners of the drawers, just barely noticeable if you look.
My only regret is that I made the top too small (or rather, I made the base too wide). I would have strongly preferred to use a traditional thumbnail edge treatment for the top. However, the top was not large enough for this profile because the reveal over the base is not sufficient. I had to settle for a cove edge treatment for the table top, which works but isn’t ideal.