|Project by Kelen||posted 11-16-2011 05:11 AM||1114 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I had debated attempting this project for quite some time and given the number of safety regulations, it took me several weeks of planning to make sure I could build something that was structurally sound, attractive, and safe. Because I was unsure of my ability in completing the project, I used pine for construction mainly to keep down on cost. It took some additional time on the back end on sanding and finishing, but since my wife wanted it white, I figured the type of material would not matter significantly. I think whether it’s any kind of wood, they’ll eventually be little teeth marks at some point. Because I didn’t have an HVLP system at the time (bought one after this project), we brushed on both the primer and enamel finish coats. I was worried the coat would scratch easily but it surprisingly very hard, almost feels like it’s baked on. I rounded over most everything to limit any sharp edges as well. My wife is planning to sew some protector pads (similar to teething rails) to give it some added protection, along with a bumper and a skirt. I will have to post updated pictures when she finishes everything on her end. I still need to attach a support system for the mattress, but since this thing won’t be occupied for several more months, I still have some time.
I will say in hindsight, this was one of the most rewarding projects that I’ve tackled in my short life in the world of woodworking. I will also admit that I began this project before my wife was even pregnant. We had the room so I figured there was no worries in getting started a little early.