|Project by David Grimes||posted 11-13-2011 12:34 PM||1236 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
This small chest…
- has exterior panels made of 3/4” birch plywood
- the drawer fronts are maple with antique pewter pulls
- the exterior trim is pine, except for…
- the lid edge banding is maple strip between birch lid and pine edge trim
- two full extension drawers with waffled lining
- interior has three lower compartments that are felt lined
- two till boxes slide on a front and back rails
- the till boxes have felt front and back sides for easy sliding on the rail (prevents wood on wood chafing)
- hardware includes a safety hinge, a piano hinge, then drawer and lid bumpers.
All of the wood members were stained, then followed by at least two coats of de-waxed shellac (with sanding between coats), then finally at least three coats of wipe polyurethane (with synthetic wool lightly between coats).
I believe that the little chest is more interesting with all the different woods and stains, but in any case that was the plan. I used the Nikon for these pics, but still got color variation from reality due to the flash. They will just have to do. The drawers (flat black) and two totes especially look strange in the pictures, but not so in person.
Thanks for stopping in.
-- If you're going to stir the pot, think BIG spoon or SMALL boat paddle. David Grimes, Georgia