|Project by jimleigh1313||posted 11-11-2011 at 06:20 PM||1282 views||2 times favorited||10 comments|
I got this design from a book. This was my most frustrating project ever. I screwed up from the beginning. The design called for pine, but hardwood was cheaper, so I bought it…big mistake. The problem came during the drilling…with a dull bit…without a drill press. The issue was chip-out and a hole that was not perfectly aligned. It also took forever to get the axle hole bigger because I didn’t have the proper size bit. After that, I tried to dilute oil-based stain with water to make the stain lighter…won’t do that again. This ended up standing the grain on the eyes and the wheels. (BTW does anyone know a good way to sand the perimeter of circles?). The eyelets that I hold the fin to the body also kept coming off. This was a problem because the eyelets had to be reopened every time. Also, the green wasn’t what I had in mind going into the project. Its a little too dull.
Oh…also, I had my first injury, and a stupid one at that. I tried to fit the pattern on the perfect size board. Perfect size meaning exact the correct width. The problem with this was when I got to the end of the pattern, the scroll saw blade slipped out of the wood and right into the tip of my middle finger. You don’t think of a scroll saw causing injuries, but I tell ya…it tore right in. After a full sprint to the bathroom and two weeks of full finger bandages, it ended up healing right away.
But at least it works. The wheels are offset, so it sort of ‘waddles’ which causes the fin on the end to flip back and forth looking as if its swimming in the water. It’s a slightly lopsided and I never could get it sanded right, but I don’t think I kid will mind too much.