|Project by Froggy||posted 11-11-2011 08:55 AM||2589 views||3 times favorited||11 comments|
OK, from a woodworking perspective, there is hardly anything especially interesting in this project, but for me it is quite special… This is a tribute to my grandfather. He fought in the Red Army during The Great Patriotic War (for all Russians it will always be remembered by that name, not the World War II). He took part in the battle of Moscow, had victories and defeats in Ukraine, in Belarus, on the Baltic… He celebrated the Victory Day in Eastern Prussia, near Kenigsberg, being a First Leutenant at that time. Retired Major in 1963. I was thinking about making some sort of a display for his mementos for a long time, and finally, here it is. It’s interesting, when I finished it, I had a feeling that I kept a promise given a long time ago. Hard to describe, but it’s very rewarding and satisfying, and I am sure many of you who did similar projects can relate to that…
The material for the box and the door frame is maple, lightly gel-stained “golden oak” and finished with 5 coats of a dewaxed shellac (I also used a sealing coat of the same shellac before staining, to prevent blotching). The backboard is made of 1/4” floor laminate boards. The box is square, so, with the removable display panel (1/8” hardboard with felt), it can be hung in any orientation, with the door swinging to the left or right, or lifting upward. For the same purpose, the hangers on the back are also mounted on all four sides. One thing I want to mention is the joinery for the box frame (on the sketch). I wanted to do something stronger than a miter, and better looking from the outside than a rabbet or butt joint (with no visible end grain). “Lock miter” would have been ideal, but I didn’t have that router bit. However, I did have a “drawer lock” bit, which I used in combination with a standard 45-deg chamfering bit (see the drawing). Sorry if I reinvented the wheel, but I haven’t seen joints done in this particular way, and would be glad if someone finds it useful… :)
Profiles, grooves and joints for the box were done on a router table; everything else with hand tools. All miters (the door and small frames) were done on a shooting board—I made one for myself some time ago after watching a video by David Charlesworth, and I love this tool!
I wanted to install a lock in it, but coudn’t find something I’d like among standard furniture locks, so I used one of a handful of cam locks I collected from various sources (had to “invent” the latch mechanism).
Thanks for looking!